The Blog of a First Time Momma

The Blog of a First Time Momma

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Toddler Science Experiment!

One of my most favorite things about having a 2 year old is how interested they are in new things!  Samuel is fascinated by the most simple things: catching bugs, picking flowers, watching butterflies, throwing leaves, throwing rocks.  I love being able to "teach" Samuel about different things...and watching him take it all in!  Since Samuel isn't much of a talker, I don't always know what he does understand or what he does find interesting, but he always surprises me by what he can remember and repeat!

It's been so hot here in Maryland that I've had to find some alternative indoor activities for us to do!  Usually we spend as much time outdoors as possible, but 90+ degree temperatures and 8-months pregnant isn't cutting it for me this summer!  I tire out way too quickly, and then the Braxton Hicks contractions come on...so indoor fun it is!

I found this great toddler science experiment on Pinterest!...it's called Elephant Toothpaste!  I have no idea why it's called that, especially since toothpaste isn't involved, but either way, Samuel LOVED it!

How to make Elephant Toothpaste:
1. Set a plastic bottle (like a soda or water bottle) in the middle of a pan to catch the toothpaste.
 
2. Mix these in a separate container or bowl and swirl together for a minute. The yeast will catalyze (or speed up) the reaction. Woo hoo!

** 2 Tablespoons warm water
** 1 teaspoon yeast
3. Mix these in your soda pop bottle:
** 1/2 cup 6% hydrogen peroxide. (this is what the explanation on Pinterest said, but we did use the 3% that we happened to have in our bathroom and it worked fine!) 
** 4-5 drops food coloring
** squirt of dish soap
4. Pour the yeast mixture into the soda pop bottle...and have your favorite toddler be amazed!  (I actually thought it was really neat too!  I wasn't sure what to expect!)
 
Before I mixed in the peroxide mixture!
 

After!

The reaction starts...both the peroxide and yeast reaction AND Samuel reacting to the experiment!


AMAZED!




Trying to figure out what is going on!


It feels funny!





It was a really neat experiement to do!  Samuel is 2 and LOVES it!!!  We proceeded to do it three more times (until I ran out of yeast!)  So if anyone is looking for a fun activity that is fairly simple and easy to clean up, this is what you are looking for!  If your children are older, this is a great way to explain reactions and what happens when you mix chemicals!


2 comments:

  1. I love his picture with the hand on his face. Too cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the picture with his hand on his face. Really I just love the sincere delight and the innocent expressions. This is why being a mother is amazing! You get to see a person experiencing something new every day!

    ReplyDelete