The Blog of a First Time Momma

The Blog of a First Time Momma

Friday, July 6, 2012

Even I Was Impressed!

As most everyone knows, I've been worried about Samuel's language development.  While Samuel has a TON of words, he doesn't put them together into 2-word sentences.  The general rule of thumb is 2-word sentences by the time they are two!  By 2.5, the pediatrician explained it should be 3-4 word sentences!  We'll, we aren't even close!  While he has a couple phrases he uses: "I Pooped" "I toot" and "I kick" is about all I've gotten out of him!  Sooooooooo, after much going back and forth, failing 4 ASQ (ages and stages questionnaires), we finally made an appointment for the speech evaluation. 

Despite being worrier, things went very smoothly!  The evaluators come to your home to see the kids in their own environment to make them feel more comfortable!  I explained Samuel was a shy kid, so they just took my word on everything! 

Samuel spent the time showing off!  He showed them all of the pictures in the living room and told them who was in the pictures, showed them his toys, and while I was filling out paperwork, he PUT TOGETHER HIS TRAIN SET....BY HIMSELF!  I've never seen him do that before!  It is 17-pieces!  Even I was impressed (and the lady who did the evaluation was stunned!).  We have one more round of evaluation.  I'm not too worried.  We think he's perfect just the way he is!

Samuel has tons of talents and the things that he can do really do outweigh the things that he can't do!  My mother-in-law (and brother-in-law too) both joke that Samuel is becoming more and more like Eric by the day.  Eric didn't bother speaking until he was 4.  Why you might ask?  Eric said he saw no point to it!  Samuel is just a boy of few words :0)

 My mom tells me all the time if every child developed exactly the same, then it would be a boring world!  Someone has to be a great public orator, and someone has to be an engineer...I don't know what Samuel will be, and I don't care!  He's the perfect little guy for us!  So, in the meantime Samuel continues to amaze me...whether it is putting together a train track by himself or counting to 60, he is full of surprises!

Here he is with his train track...it has recently became his favorite toy!  He pulls the train set out first thing in the morning and the train track changes design frequently throughout the day!





1 comment:

  1. I think he's just messing with ya. At night he just giggles to himself about how he tricked you again. You don't know this but he quotes Shakespeare to his stuffed animals.
    "Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?"
    "I do bite my thumb, sir."

    ReplyDelete