When I was living in Prague, I learned as much as I could about local customs and traditions since my family is part Czech. One of my most favorite experiences was the St. Nicholas Day celebration!!!
St. Nicholas Day is celebrated on December 6th. But on the night of December 5th (St. Nicholas Eve), everyone gathers together to celebrate the season! In Prague, it was crazy...a lot of reenactments and people dressed up in costumes of St. Nicholas, Angels, and Devils.
Children set their shoes out on St. Nicholas eve, and awaken the next morning to see if gifts were left. Depending on the family and the tradition depends on what is left: candy and toys are the tradition!
After I experience this tradition first hand, I knew I wanted to pass it on to my own children! Last year, Samuel wasn't quite old enough to understand. But this year, he got the basic concept!
I've been really torn on whether to do the whole Santa Clause thing or not. Eric did not grow up celebrating Christmas, and I was devastated when I found out (by accident) about Santa. This has plagued me since my pregnancy!!!! But the time is coming, and a decision has to be made, so I think we are taking the St. Nick front. The legend of the real St. Nick.
My hopes it celebrate St. Nick Day on December 5th/6th with the gifts representing St. Nick and gifts on Christmas from me and Eric (and one from St. Nick). We have also decided to instill that Christmas isn't just about gifts, it's about giving! Samuel will only be receiving 3 gifts from me and Eric, a gift representing each of the Wise Men and one gift from St. Nick. We are also focusing more on giving then receiving. Samuel and I have already begun this Christmas season by doing Random Acts of Kindness.
Because we were unexpectedly in North Carolina for about a week, the number of acts that we performed have been limited...but we are trying to do something nice for others several days a week.
So far we have: ornaments for our MOPPETS volunteers, sent a card to Eric's aunt in a nursing home, donated our loose change to the Salvation Army (Samuel also tried putting his matchbox car in the container!) and we let someone in front of us at Chick-Fil-A. We also purchased mittens and hats for the local sorority warm drive (but haven't dropped them off yet). And our last act (hopefully, we plan to get around to it THIS WEEK!) will be taping quarters to vending machines and toy machines!
No, I didn't come up with this idea on my own...I saw it online, but loved it! It really is the small things that make a difference. And, I hope it will teach Samuel that giving to others is important.
But back to Samuel! Samuel woke up St. Nicholas morning surprised to see presents under the tree...and they were ALL for him!!! Samuel must have been quite the good boy this year, he had 7 gifts to open!!!!
These gifts are all usually Christmas related. Things that I would have bought him anyway, but just a little bit more special by wrapping them up! Plus, he can enjoy them all season.
This year he got: Christmas Pajamas, 2 Christmas books, 2 Christmas DVDs (Dora's Christmas and Diego's Christmas), and 2 Christmas shirts! Not a bad score for such a little boy! It was so much fun watching him open his gifts!
The Haul
Checking out the new DVDs!
It was a fun morning, and something keeping in our house for years to come!


No comments:
Post a Comment