Every mom has a weakness: could be patience, could be creativity, some mom's don't have their priorities figured out, some mom's are busy. I've kept my dirty little secret hidden for the past two years...but these pictures both provide me hope and a smile!
Samuel nursed the first 20-months of his life. So when it was night time, he would just nurse and he would magically stay asleep!!! However, now that he is weaned, it has been a struggle to figure out how to get Samuel to sleep at night and nap times. Especially being two years old, when he gets over tired he fall's into a tantrum! And once that tantrum starts, it's hard to get things back in order and calm!
Last week I saw the tantrum coming on, so I tried something new (and still, probably not exactly the right thing, but it works for us). I turned the TV on, a quiet CD or DVD, and had Samuel sit on his couch while I had to "finish" something up. Samuel would come out to the living room to check on me, but I'd tell him I was almost finished and to go lay back on the couch and I'd be in.
A few minutes later, the boy was asleep! Thankful and amazed! We tried the trick that night, the next day, and ever since! And it's working!!!! At least we are making progress! All we have to do then is pick him up and get him to his bed!
I definitely wish parenting came with a hand book. We tried crying it out, we tried sitting with him, we tried everything...but it usually just led to vomit and tears (tears from both me and him!)! So, even though I write about happy and fun things all the time, there are some tough parenting moments for me and Eric :0) It's all just trial and error and smiling our way through it!
Here is Samuel sleeping on his little couch...he kept his food in Eric's hunting bag so he could keep tabs of Eric!
Samuel was tuckered out after MOPS last week. I handed him his sippy and put on Baby Einstein, by the time I went to the bathroom and came back, Samuel was asleep sitting up right with his sippy!


Seriously this has been my exact same plight the last few nights. I have been researching endlessly ways to get Lydia to self soothe herself. All the research ended up with one realization what works for other babies will never work for Lydia and that I'm just gonna have to keep on nursing her to sleep. The problem is really not nights but naps. Lydia literally won't sleep unless I'm laying next to her or she is in my arms. I wish I could just at least put her down for naps as our house is really falling apart. Anyways, at least it's nice to know that at least one other mother is feeling my pain. :)
ReplyDelete