The Blog of a First Time Momma

The Blog of a First Time Momma

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Only my parents...

Samuel is 20-months old.  In the past 20-months, I can probably count on both hands how many times Samuel has WILLINGLY laid down to take a nap or to go to sleep at night.  Being that he is 1. The First Child 2. I'm at stay at home mom so nothing else is too pressing 3. He's our baby,  Samuel has been held/nursed/rocked to go to sleep at night.  So, of course, he has this bad habit and it's so hard to break!

I've bought all the books you can think of and tried them all to get him to sleep.  Crying it out was the worst method for us...it involved vomit EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Samuel just gets hysterical, and when he does, he vomits (ask my mom, she's seen it first hand on several occassions!).  So, I just resigned myself to the recliner and holding this sweet little boy.  I don't mind, I really don't.  I know people think it's bad, but I don't care.  He's only little once, and i've NEVER seen a college boy being rocked to sleep, so I feel certain that the day is fast approaching where Samuel will blow me off and my rocking days will be over.  So in the meantime, I'll rock him to sleep...happily.

The only real drawback in all this is, i'm tired. So, when my parents came to visit last week they told me that they'd watch Samuel, and to go out and do some stuff for myself.  I didn't hesitate to take them up on that offer!  Hung out with some friends, tried to pick up lunch, and just enjoyed two glorious hours to myself!  Driving with the windows down and NOT listening to Laurie Berkner was actually quite the treat!

*misty, pst, misty* is the noise I heard when I pulled into the drive way *misty, come in the back door* What?!  But when a whispering voice tells you to go in the backdoor, who am I to argue???

I was greeted at the back door by my parents, and no Samuel...which is weird because he loves to know whose's at the door.  I was only gone two hours, did they lose him?  Maybe he drove them crazy and they had to put him in his crib???  Didn't see blood, vomit, or hear crying.  Hmmm.

Samuel decided while I was gone that after spending the morning playing that he would just lay down on the rug by the front door and go to sleep!  WHAT! He has NEVER EVER EVER done something like that!  My parents said he wasn't upset or looking for me, just watching some tv and went over to the rug, sat down, and went to sleep!  Only my parents could pull a feat off like that!  In two hours they cleaned my house, made homemade ice cream, and sleep trained my child.  Really have to hand it to the pro's on this one.  Pictures were made to document this amazing event...and he ended up sleeping there for almost two hours! 



1 comment: