The Blog of a First Time Momma

The Blog of a First Time Momma

Friday, March 18, 2011

16-Months Old

I cannot believe I am a mother of a 16-month old!!!! Samuel is getting so big and grown-up! We had our 15-month well check in February. Samuel is 24.6 pounds (50th percentile) and 32.5 inches (90th percentile) and his head measured in the 100th percentile! So when we break it down he's going to be tall and skinny like his daddy, and a big old stubborn head!

Samuel has really been testing the waters of a full-fledged toddler! This is mainly by testing his limits and boundaries to see what he can get away with...and unforunately for him, under my mommy reign, it isn't much! He HATES diaper changing, bath time and sitting in his high chair!!! He would much prefer to run around naked, not take a bath and sit in our laps to eat! Oh well, I have nothing else to do but try to keep him on course and hopefully one day he'll stop screaming every time I put him in his high chair! I tell him every time he throws a fit that it doesn't bother me any, to just go ahead, and after ignoring him for about 15-seconds he comes running with a smile on his face! He's so darn cute!

Samuel has perfected the art of walking, going up small steps and is working on going down steps. He is also practically running!!! He gives me quite the workout! I'll be in shame by swimsuit season!!! Samuel has a lot of energy, and finds joy in just about EVERYTHING! I love it! It makes everything fun and exciting for both of us. We spend warm days walking and exploring, examining bugs, leaves and grass, and playing on the climber and in the outdoor cottage. Eric says he will be ready for mushroom season this year!!

Samuel hit a BIG growth spurt this past month as well, and I've had to start packing away the 12-18 month clothes. The shirts are too small and his pants are too short, but we find ourselves in a pickle because if we go up a size the length is right but they are WAY too big in the waist! A good problem to have I guess :0)

We are also sleeping MUCH better! We still have a rough night every once in awhile, but I think the fresh air and playing and exploring has exhausted the little guy! It's nice to feel somewhat rested and productive again!

Samuel now loves Dora the Explorer, and asks to watch it all the time. We have watched Dora and the Pirates DVD at least 2 dozen times. His favorite character though is Swiper the Fox! Every time the music for Swiper the Fox comes on, Samuel claps and points to Swiper! It is so cute! His cousin Paisley also loves Dora and has a Dora Sippy Cup. Samuel LOVES that sippy cup, so we took him to Walmart to get him his own...they had blue ones, green ones, yellow ones...so we let him decide and, of course, he picked out the hot pink Dora cup. That's right, our boy carries a pink sippy cup around. We joke that only real little boys would choose a pink cup!

Samuel also has a new hobby of pulling things around the house! He'll pull anything really...my flat iron, my hair curlers, balls of yarn, our cell phone charger, the swiffer. When I presented him with a few actual pull toys he shows no interest at all! We also read the Foot Book at least 6 times a day! Ahh, the joys of a toddler!

Samuel loves goldfish crackers! We have to put a limit to two at a time...otherwise he puts them all in his mouth!!! When we ask him if he wants a fish he nods and says yes, then runs to the pantry and bangs on the door until we give him his fish!!!

It's nice to have Samuel responding to us now! He is excellent with yes and no questions, and follows simple requests like "Please come here" or "Where are your shoes?" or "Are you hungry?"

Having a toddler comes with it's own set of challenges too! He is very clingy to me, and spends most of his time wrapped around my leg, waist or wanting me to hold him! I love that kid, but sometimes it can be a challenge to get anything done! At least I have nothing that is ever really pressing!!!! Eric is so great with Samuel and Samuel just adores him, so I usually get a nice break when Eric gets home from work. The boys usually go for a walk, play outside, build blocks or watch another round of Dora!

Each month gets better and better! There are definately some hard days, but the little sticky hugs, the I Love Yous, and the smiles make it all worth while!

No comments:

Post a Comment