The Blog of a First Time Momma

The Blog of a First Time Momma

Monday, July 11, 2011

Barton

I live in a tiny town in western Maryland.  It's called Barton.  People joke that it's named Barton because there are a ton of bars.  While there isn't a ton of bars, there does appear to be quite a few...that and churches!  I guess people can go out on Saturday night and redeem themselves the next morning by going next door! 

But it's a peaceful town, really quiet, nestled sleepily in the mountains.  The major industry is coal mining.  I can see four strip mining jobs going on while driving home, and often hear the explosions of them blasting while we are outside playing.

How did I end up here???  It's Eric's hometown!  And despite thinking I wanted to live in a large city or maybe even abroad, in reality, small towns are the best place to raise children (this is just opinion of course, since I have no experience of raising a child anywhere else!!!).  

Sure, we miss out on some stuff.  Going to a children's museum requires an overnight trip, concerts, major sporting events, amusement parks, and aquariums aren't nearby...but there are other perks. Nice, clean playgrounds...LOTS of them!  Friendly people who know you by name.  Safety.  The great outdoors.  Living cheaply.  The slow pace of life.  

Samuel and I spend most of our days outside hiking, playing in the creek, throwing sticks off the bridge, and visiting neighbors. It's great!

Eric talks about the things he and his brother did when they were kids in Barton.  Going to the playground and basketball court, visiting the old candy store, things like that.  So, once winter was over, I took a drive through "downtown" Barton to see what Samuel and I might be able to get into.  Barton has not one, but TWO super nice playgrounds, ball fields, basketball court, and TWO walking paths!  Who knew?!

Here we are at the playground in Barton meadows!  Super nice!






I found these park benches in Barton, and decide Samuel should be the new face of Barton!  I'm not sure too many people are knocking down City Hall's door for that title :0)





No comments:

Post a Comment