The Blog of a First Time Momma

The Blog of a First Time Momma

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Big Brother!

As everyone knows, I worried and worried and worried and worried about Samuel going from only child status to big brother status.  You can imagine my relief when Samuel and Cora were introduced and it was rather uneventful.  Samuel didn't care at all that there was a baby crying, he was just happy to have me home again!
 
However, after a couple days, Samuel started being more interested in Cora.  Every time she cried, he would stand by her and say Baby Cry, Baby Cry until one of us picked her up.  When she nurses, he's right there...pretending to nurse on my arm!  And when I change her diaper, Samuel's there to help me!  Talk about relieved!!!
 
Don't get me wrong though, it hasn't been all rainbows and lollipops at the Raines household.  Samuel definitely has some jealousy towards Cora...and he doesn't quite get that she isn't as big as him, and tries to play with her!!!  The poor girl has gotten a few hugs that were too tight and a smack or two on the head from Samuel.  Samuel just has to be constantly reminded that Cora's just a baby and can't play like that!  However, when he does play rough, it isn't out of malice...he truly looks like he just wants her to get up and play with him!  Eric and I are both trying to be patient and working through the frustrations.  Samuel has also returned to pinching.  We were prepared for the fact that kids do regress when a new sibling is brought home, we just were hoping he wouldn't take the pinching direction!  I've been told though by many friends that after a month or two, things should steady back out...here's to hoping!!!
 
All and all, Samuel LOVES Cora.  He constantly asks to hold her and kisses her about a hundred times a day!  He also loves to touch her head and has learned how to soft touch her head...it's really sweet. 
 
I'm so looking forward to watching the two of them grow up together.  While I know there is going to be plenty of fighting, tough moments, and rivalries, I'm also excited to watch the brother/sister relationship grow too!
 
Samuel notifying us that the baby cries!
 
 
A kiss from big brother!
 
 
A picture of the most blessed mom in the world!
 
 
Samuel always checks in on Cora to make sure she is happy, that the music is on her swing, and that the mobile is moving!  What a great big brother!
 
 
Samuel LOVES to hold Cora (with a lot of hovering around by me and Eric and with a boppy on hand!).  He must ask me 10 times a day to hold her!
 
 
 
I'm so glad that Samuel has done so well with Cora!!!  I was prepared for the setbacks and jealousy, and it's so much more mild than I anticipated!  Samuel is such a sweet kid...and the best big brother!

1 comment:

  1. My brother threw a soup can at my other brother's head when they brought him home from the hospital. Lol, I'm glad that nothing of that sort is going on in your household. I am sorry about the pinching however. Lydia is a pincher and a biter and it is definitely not my favorite aspect of parenting.
    I do want to say though that I love the pictures of Samuel and Cora. Samuel has always had an amazing smile but it almost seems now that his smile is even bigger when he is with Cora. Every time i see it it makes my heart swell.

    ReplyDelete