The Blog of a First Time Momma

The Blog of a First Time Momma

Monday, February 21, 2011

Life with a Toddler

When I was pregnant with Samuel, I ran into a friend who told me that I really needed to enjoy life with an infant...because life with a toddler is WILD. Wild is an understatement! There is not a word that describes life with a curious and active toddler! If you combine the words hectic, crazy, wild, and insane...it barely scratches the surface! At the same time, life with a toddler is a wonderful and amazing experience!!!


Samuel took his first steps the day before my birthday...and then he decided he would only take one or two steps at a time. So I started doing what I do best, and worried, and worried, and worried some more. Everyone told me not to worry, that he would walk when he was ready...but it just made me worry even more!!!


About three weeks ago, Samuel decided that it was time. So off he went and he hasn't stopped! He basically has gone from taking one or two steps to RUNNING! With his new found ability to walk, Samuel can cause more destruction because he can reach higher, stretch further and get there quicker! He uses the dog as a personal step stool to get on the couch, he can hang on to things, throw things, kick things! It's like we don't even know what hit us! WILD!

But Samuel is so cute now that he can walk. He is really proud of his accomplishment (and we are too, of course!). He looks like a little man in his shoes. And whoever said that having a boy wasn't as much fun as a girl when it comes to clothes was wrong! Samuel has so many pairs of shoes! Right now he is a size 4 and I think he has 12 pairs of shoes! I know, I know, overboard, but I just love the little shoes!


This past weekend was our nieces third birthday party (don't even get me started there! how is she already 3?! I remember when I called Jen to find out if she was pregnant!!!) But the party was in a community recreation center, and it was IDEAL for kids. Hula hoops, basketballs, kick balls, jumping balls...it was all out fun! And Samuel LOVED every second of it!


He was dressed in a super cute gymboree outfit. One of his nicest outfits...and within about 30 seconds of being there he was filthy! Running, crawling, falling, kicking kick balls, playing with basketballs! But I wasn't even a little upset, his smile made it impossible (plus it is only dirt!!!). You would have thought that we had taken him to Disney World the way he was smiling and laughing! Samuel wouldn't even eat dinner, he just wanted to play!!!


Eric and I take shifts chasing and watching Samuel. Despite the house being "baby proofed", toddler proofed just isn't possible. Every day Samuel gets taller, smarter, and more creative which makes it more challenging to get things out of the way, up higher or more secure! I really do believe that toddlers run the length of a football each day!


I love having a toddler. It is so much fun! It's a new stage, and with it's challenges comes an even more amazing time to teach and play with Samuel!

No comments:

Post a Comment