It's amazing how motherhood changes a person. This time last year I slept late, ate whenever I wanted, went wherever I wanted, and bought anything I wanted! Now I'm up 2-3x a night, I woof my dinner down as quickly as possible (otherwise it'll end up on the floor thanks to Samuel the octopus!), I plan every trip days in advance...even if it's just to get gas in the car!, and when I buy things it's for Samuel!!! And I couldn't be happier! However, never in a million years did I think (or did most people think)that I would ever...DO CLOTH DIAPERS!
I spent months debating the cloth diaper idea. First off, diapers are EXPENSIVE. We exclusively used Pampers the first 2 months of Samuel's life...which are $25.00 a box and you use at least 1 box a week. Once things got more "contained" in that area we switched to Luvs and store brands, which still runs a person $13-17 a week!!! 52 weeks a year X $15 a week=$780...$780 X 2.5 years=$1,950!!! $2,000 for diapers! You are literally throwing $2000 in the trash!!! And that's if you use the cheaper diapers!!! My first car only cost $2,400!!! If you want to have 2 kids, you are looking at $4,000...and 3 kids is $6,000!!! That's a lot of money!!!!
Not to mention the amount of trash we produce using diapers. Poo diapers go into a diaper genie (whose refills cost $7.00 and usually last about 2 weeks) And the wet diapers go in the trash...I empty the little trash basket in Samuel's room at least 3 times a week for wet diapers alone! I feel guilty every time we go to the landfill...a lot of our family waste is in diapers!!!
So I sucked it up, and made the investment in the Part-Time Grobaby cloth diaper system. That means I use cloth diapers during the daytime when I am at home, and disposables at night time or if we are going out for the day. And it really isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be!!! Cloth diapers have come a LONG way since my siblings were in cloth diapers!!!
Grobaby's are super cute diapers! I love the shells, and the shells are changed 2x a day (more if you have an "accident"). The inserts are easy to use, just snap them in! Just takes a second! All the shells and inserts go in a wet bag and you just dump them in the washing machine every other day! Even a "dirty dirty" cloth diaper isn't bad to clean up. Easy to soak and rinse!
We are still in the "learning" process of cloth diapers. We have an occasional leak here or there, but 3 extra loads of laundry sure beats disposable diapers. We've gone from buying 4-5 boxes of diapers a month to just 2 boxes!!! Plus, the waste from using disposable diapers has decreased dramatically! Which thrills me too! Glad to be able to do a small part to help nature!!!
This is Samuel at 7-months old wearing his Gro-baby!


I think that's awesome!! I plan on doing the same thing if we ever have kids. No reason to spend more money and use more waste than is needed. I approve :)
ReplyDelete